IM4DC will run a program in October on ‘safe and effective blasting’ to provide understanding of the approaches implemented in Australia to manage blasting operations in the mining and quarrying sector. This program aims to allow participants:
- To develop an enhanced knowledge of modern blasting technology
- To increase understanding of regulatory frameworks in Australia regarding the management of explosives and blasting operations
- To increase understanding of training and certification systems for blasting professionals.
Taking place in Brisbane, Queensland, the program is designed for Mines and Explosives Inspectors from government agencies in countries with emerging or established minerals sectors, and will also be relevant for those involved in education and training programs relating to blasting.
The program will be delivered by senior personnel from the Queensland Government’s Safety in Mines Testing and Research Station (SIMTARS), The University of Queensland and an explosive services provider company, and include the following activities:
- Two day safe and effective blasting course
- Field trip to an explosives storage and manufacturing facility
- Overview of regulatory framework for management of explosives and blasting operations in Queensland
- Presentations on key OHS issues, including management of noise, vibrations and fumes from blasting
- Presentations on new development in explosives technology.
Applications for this program are now closed. No further applications can be accepted.