Dr R Sukhyar, Director General of Mineral and Coal at the Indonesian Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources, led a delegation to Perth, Western Australia in November.
The focus of the delegation was on mining and processing policy and governance, and commercial and economic aspects of the mining and processing industry.
IM4DC arranged a program of meetings and site visits. The delegation met with senior personnel from the Government of Western Australia, industry and universities in discussions hosted by The Chamber of Minerals and Energy WA (CMEWA), the Department of Mines and Petroleum and UWA.
The delegation was welcomed to Western Australia and UWA by the WA Treasurer and Minister for Energy, Hon Mike Nahan and Deputy Vice Chancellor (Community and Engagement), Professor Kent Anderson.
Discussions with the Director General of Mines and Petroleum, Richard Sellers, focused on Western Australian approaches to precompetitive geoscience, tenement administration and information technology. The CMEWA industry forum discussed mining policy in Australia and Indonesia.
The study tour also included:
- Visits to Alcoa’s Huntly bauxite mine and Pinjarra alumina refinery, CSIRO’s Australian Minerals Research Centre and Direct Nickel Test Plant
- Discussion of the Australian and Western Australian mining and processing industry and METS sector,
- Investment attraction strategies
- Governance structures and policies
- Global trends in mineral markets, economics, policy and sustainability.